Avoiding proper concussion treatment can end soccer careers, even for top athletes in the game. Take concussions seriously! Coaches, when in doubt, sit them out!
What is a Concussion?
A concussion is a brain injury that:
- Is caused by a bump or blow to the head
- Can change the way your brain normally works
- Can occur during practices or games in any sport
- Can happen even if you haven't been knocked out
- Can be serious even if you've just been "dinged"
What are symptoms of Concussion?
- Headache or pressure in the head
- Nausea or vomitting
- Balance problems or dizziness
- Double or blurry vision
- Appears dazed or confused
- Is confused about assignment or position
- Forgets an instruction
- Unsure of game details (score, opponent, etc.)
- Moves clumsily
- Answers questions slowly
- Loses consciousness (even briefly)
- Shows mood, behavior or personality changes
- Can't recall events prior to or after head injury